To create a digital edition, you must have a source PDF to provide the Application, where it is converted for view on desktops with the Flipbook Flash interface, and mobile devices with the Mobile HTML5 interface. Once uploaded, your PDF becomes an "Issue"
Accessing the Create Issue Wizard
You can access the Create Issue Wizard from a few spots within the Application. Referring to the Screenshots below:
- The "Upload PDF" Button Top Menu Bar is Accessible on any page of the Application
- Folders/Issues Page Upload PDF button
Folders/Issues Screen Access
Create Issue Wizard - Step by Step
Once the Create Issue Wizard popup is displaying, follow the instructions below. Click on the "Cancel" button on the bottom right of screen if you want to exit the Wizard.
Step 1 - Choose your File
Referring to the screenshot below:
- There are multiple ways you can feed your PDF into our Application for conversion to an Issue
- From My Computer
If you've got your file saved on your computer you can choose this option and upload the file to the Application
- Import from URL
If your file is stored remotely and accessible via a link, just paste that URL and our system will Fetch and Process that file. Note that FTP is not supported here. Use FTP Scheduler if your files are stored on an FTP server
- From Dropbox
To grab a file from your Dropbox account, you'll first have to authorize your account through Dropbox.com. The Application will direct you after clicking on the blue "Authorize Dropbox" button. After authorization, click on the "Revoke Access or Change account" link on the bottom right of screen if you need to stop the integration or change accounts
- From Box.com
To grab a file from your Dropbox account, you'll first have to authorize your account through Box.com. The Application will direct you after clicking on the blue "Authorize Box" button. After authorization, click on the "Revoke Access or Change account" link on the bottom right of screen if you need to stop the integration or change accounts
- From Google Drive
To grag a file from your Google Drive account, you'll first have to authorize your account through Google. The Application will direct you to Google for authentication after clicking on the "Authorize Google Drive" button. After authorization, click on the "Revoke Access or Change account" link on the bottom right of screen if you need to stop the integration or change accounts
Step 2 - Choose your Issue Settings
Define the location, name and publish date. Referring to screenshot below:
- Select a parent Title/Folder for your Issue (NOTE: Starter level accounts/trials only have 1 Folder so this step is not required)
- A parent Title/Folder is ALWAYS required to upload an Issue
- If you do not already have a Title/Folder created, you will be asked to do so upon first clicking on "Upload PDF"
- Enter a name for your issue (examples: May 2012 Edition; Tuesday, August 6, 2012; Special Edition; 2012 Financial Report; etc)
- Immediately: Issue will immediately become live and accessible by the public via the unique URL
- At a specific Date and Time: Issue will automatically become active at a future date/time
- Select the day, month, year, hour, minute and am/pm that you would like the issue to go live on
- With this option the issue will be assigned a status of "future pub", and can only be viewable by the account holder when they are logged into the system via various "Preview" links throughout the Application
Step 3 - Choose Issue Options and Submit File for Processing
On this step you will choose options for processing. Referring to screenshot below:
- Auto Link (OPTIONAL)
- Select an autolink job to automatically create interactive links during initial processing
- Default website/emails job is always available here and will recognize embedded font/text in standard website and email formats and create links
- Any other previously created autolink jobs for the title will also be available here for selection to apply at initial issue processing
- Activate Sharpening Filter: Check this option if you have very fine text that you want sharpened for view on mobile devices
- This option checks each pixel and surrounding pixels
- Click on Upload and your PDF file will begin to upload or transfer to the Application
- If Uploading from your computer, please wait until the transfer has completed
- If Fetching from URL, Dropbox or Box.com you can navigate the Application while your Issue processed in the background
Step 4 - File Processing
Once you reach this step, the system has completely taken over and you can feel free to navigate around to other pages using your browser.
The system must now analyze and extract all components of the PDF so it can be rebuilt for the files displayed on the Flipbook and Mobile platforms.
Step 5 - PDF processed and Issue created
Once processing is completed your issue has been created! You can now begin formatting, enhancing and promoting your new issue!
Click on the Issue thumbnail in your Folders/Issues page to access the Settings & Options popup.
Full Processed Issue View
- Always be sure to review your issue within 12 hours of upload and delete the issue if there are any major problems, mistakes, omissions or quality concerns. Delete within 12 hours and you'll get your Upload back so you can reformat your PDF as necessary and re-upload
- Deleting the issue past 12 hours will not recoup your Upload and you will lose the Upload forever
- You may see processing errors as a final result as well. In these cases you can delete the issue at any time and you will get your Upload back. Errors include
- Filesize limit exceeded (PDF filesize exceeded the allotted limit of 500MB)
- Page dimensions exceeded (page dimensions exceeded 430 square inches)
- File is Corrupt (something is wrong with the PDF and it is not Adobe compliant. Reformat the PDF using Adobe Acrobat)
- Processing Error (unknown problem with the PDF and it is not Adobe compliant. Reformat the PDF using Adobe Acrobat)